Friday, June 7, 2013

Six months and I'm a Sitarski!

I'm getting married in 6 months! SIX MONTHS!  It is so crazy to think about a year ago and how much things can change in a year.  I cannot wait for it to be December 7th, I cannot wait to see all of my family and friends and go through the experiences that I have seen so many friends and family members have on their wedding days.  Most importantly I cannot wait to marry my best friend and make him legally bound to me for the rest of our lives.  Today I feel like the luckiest girl in the world.

I am also very lucky to be surrounded by couples who are willing to share what has worked and what has not worked for them.  I am constantly asking people "what is your secret" to a happy marriage... I get answers that range from "communication" to "good sex" to "xanax."  Through the gathering of these finding, I think about what our "secret" is or what makes our life together so happy... so I thought on the six month to our wedding date day, I would list some of these out.  Who knows... it may be helpful to look back on one day.

1.  Family is important!  We are both extremely close to our families and both make our families a priority in our lives.  Families are forever!  I personally could not be with someone that my family didn't love and respect as much as I do because let's face it, the people in my family are some of the funnest people I know and hanging out with them is a total blast!!  One piece of advice I was told along the way was to avoid family drama and be the "point person" for your own family - don't put each other in the middle.  This may sound a little odd but it makes sense - we don't want to create any "bad guy" situations.

2.  Laugh... a lot!  We may act like 5 year olds half the time, but at least we are both acting like 5 year olds! 

3. Thank each other!  We make it a point to show our appreciation for even the simplest tasks.  "Thanks for doing the laundry" "Thanks for putting away the dishes."  The other night Bart made dinner, I thanked him for a fabulous dinner and then cleaned the kitchen (I mean he cooked... its only fair).  After thanking me for cleaning up, he asked if we can stay this nice to each other and still thank each other when we're married... mental note... point taken :-).

4. Make each other feel important!  We both do things to make each other feel important.  We make a big deal out of birthdays and anniversary's.  Bart is sooo good at buying me flowers. Sometimes even the littlest things make the biggest impact.

5. Communication is key!  I know its sounds so unoriginal but let's be honest, its a fact.  Unfortunately we have already encountered a couple of situations on the more difficult side and we have come out of them stronger because we talk about it.  It's not rocket science, just tell the other person what's going on and what's pissing you off... its amazing how helpful that can be! 
6. Me and You Against the World!  It may sound kinda silly but we've said this statement so many times, whenever one of us is feeling like things aren't fair, or we're struggling with something, it reminds us that we have each other and we don't have to go through anything alone. 

Now, make no mistake we are not perfect... well mostly I am not perfect, he's pretty freaking close!  But hey maybe this will make someone thank their significant other more or buy a card on the way home. 

 
Six months and I'm a Sitarski :-).

2 comments:

  1. You are the sweetest thing ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete